Tuesday, April 30, 2013

A Guard Dog, He is Not


Buddy would be an absolutely terrible guard dog. I have people ask me sometimes if that's why I got him, and although the deep pitch of his bark has come in handy when someone saw fit to play around in our backyard at midnight, he definitely isn't cut from the guard dog cloth.

For one thing, if voices get raised or tensions run high, he'll duck behind my legs to hide - as if no one would notice the 40 pound mass of scruffy fur peeking out at them.

For another, he's scared of my moms chihuahua, as well as all cats. Her chi definitely calls the shots when they play together - which is often, since I currently still live at home. And really, what self-respecting dog runs in fear from a 10 pound feline bully? Certainly no guard of humans would be caught dead showing fear to a meowing marauder.

Lastly, new people are always friends, never foe. He's of the firm belief that every hand is reaching to pet, and every pocket contains a treat. My dog has never met a person he didn't like.

So no. Buddy is no guard dog, but I love him all the same.

Is this the face of a dog who'd let a cat boss him around? Yes, yes it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment